This guide will show you how to setup your Radiomaster TX12 or any EdgeTX / OpenTX Multi-protocol radio for your OMPHobby M1 or M2 Helicopter.
If you purchased a RTF Combo or TX12 Radio from us, this setup is already done for you.
If you are using OpenTX we recommend that you upgrade your TX16S to EdgeTX.
EdgeTX model configuration files
Download OriginHobbies EdgeTX Model Configuration File. (right click and Save as)
The Configuration contains all the models listed below. Please see end of this page for Revision history of the Configuration files.
Model names in Configuration file
|EVO FUT||M1 & M2||S-FHSS|
|EVO DSM||M1 & M2||DSM|
|EVO R81||M1 & M2||Frsky D8|
Loading Models from configuration file to Radio
- Download and install Edge Companion tool on PC/Mac/Linux.
- Start the Companion tool.
- Power ON the Radio and Connect the Radio to USB port of your computer. Select “USB Storage mode“
- Get the models from the Radio to Companion tool.
Select Read/write->Read current models from radio.
- Open the OriginHobbies configuration file you downloaded from above. There are many models in the configuration file. Copy the models you need from OriginHobbies configuration window to your Radio’s configuration window.
- Save the models from the Companion tool to the Radio.
Select Read/write->Write current models to radio.
- Safely remove the USB disk drive.
- Disconnect USB.
OMPHobby M2 comes with built-in receiver that supports OMP Protocol. In OMP Protocol, the throttle curve is fixed in the helicopter and cannot be adjusted at the Transmitter Radio. OMP protocl supports telemetry for Helicopter battery voltage. Normal, Idle-up1 and Idle-up2 flight modes are assigned by a switch on the Radio transmitter.
Choose model OMP M1, M2 OMP from the configuration file.
|6||Flight mode (Normal/Idle-up1/Idle-up2)|
|7||Attitude Hold (auto level) ON/OFF|
The helicopter supports one one SBUS port. You can connect a SBUS compatible receiver to this port. It will override the internal OMP receiver. e.g. OSHM2055 S-FHSS micro receiver tai Radiomaster R81 Nano receiver + SBUS receiver adapter.
Choose model OMP M1, M2 SFHSS from the configuration file.
|5||Attitude Hold (auto level) ON/OFF|
NOTE: If you are not using S-FHSS (Futaba) receiver on the SBUS port then choose the correct the RF Protocol ja Protocol Sub Type in your TX16S Model Setup -> Internal RF
The helicopter supports one Spektrum DSM Satellite port. You can connect a Spektrum satellite receiver to this port. e.g. DSM2 / DSMX nano Satellite receiver with bind button.
Choose model OMP M1, M2 DSM from the configuration file.
|5||Attitude Hold (auto level) ON/OFF|
Radio switch Layout
|Flight mode (↑Normal, –Idle-up1, ↓Idle-up2)||SB|
|Dual rates (↑100%, -85%, ↓75%)||SE|
|Stability mode (auto level) ON/OFF||SF|
|Volume control||S2 slider|
- Flight timer: 4.5 mins, Haptic countdown at 10 seconds
- To reset flight timer, Throttle hold must be active and then Timer reset button will reset timer.
- Voice call on Throttle cut, Throttle active, Flight modes and Stability mode.
Binding and pre-flight Check
- Ensure batteries of your Helicopter and Transmitter are sufficiently charged
- It is a good idea to remove the main and tail blades of the helicopter to prevent any injury if motors start accidentally.
- Choose the correct model on the TX12.
- Ensure throttle hold is engaged.
- Plug in the battery into the Helicopter and wait for beeps.
- Press and hold BIND button on helicopter. Blue LED will start flashing. Release the BIND button.
- On the Radio, go to Model setup. Press MDL button
- Scroll down to INTERNAL RF section
- Check that the RF Protocol is selected. If not you have chosen the wrong model.
- Press the BIND button
- During binding process, the Blue LED will flash rapidly. Once binding is complete the Blue LED will be steady.
- The Red LED indicates Auto-level mode status.
Red LED blinking = Auto-level OFF.
Red LED steady = Auto-level ON.
Toggle auto-level switch and see it is switching between Auto-level ON ja OFF.
- Keep Auto-level OFF.
- Move the aileron/elevator sticks and check that the swash plate is moving correctly (left-right ja front-back)
- Move the collective pitch stick and check that the swash plate is moving correctly (up & down)
- Disengage both throttle hold and throttle hold fail safe switches, give some collective and check that main rotor is spinning.
- Engage any one throttle hold and check that main rotor stops.
- Engage both throttle holds and check that flight timer resets.
- Now you can put the rotor blades back on and do a test flight. Good Luck!
You can customize the model configuration as per your linking. Please refer to explanation of different settings.
To change the switch assignments Navigate to Model->Input Page
Scroll to the Function whose switch you want to change. e.g. To change rescue mode switch scroll to Rsq input. Press and hold the Scroll wheel and select EDIT.
Scroll to Source and press the scroll wheel button. Then scroll till you find your desired switch. Press the scroll wheel button to confirm.
For OMP Protocol, there are no throttle curves on the Radio Transmitter as throttle curve is fixed inside the Helicopter. For other protocols, the below curves are used.
|CV2||TCn||Throttle curve for Normal mode|
|CV3||TC1||Throttle curve for Idle-up 1|
|CV4||TC2||Throttle curve for Idle-up 2|
For OMP Protocol, there are no pitch curves on the Radio Transmitter as pitch curves are fixed inside the Helicopter. For other protocols, the below curves are used.
|CV5||PCn||Collective pitch curve for Normal mode|
|CV6||PC1||Collective pitch curve for Idle-up 1|
|CV7||PC2||Collective pitch curve for Idle-up 2|
Dead band curve
OMP Helicopters have some deadband at center stick at Aileron and Elevator. The dead band curve is mixed with Aileron and Elevator controls to get rid of the dead band. Curve CV12 (DBD) is used as dead band curve.
Config file Revision history
v1.5: 2023-02-28 -ALL: Added Dual rate switch SE. Timer reset to SD. v1.4: 2023-02-18 -R81: Added EVO R81 model v1.3: 2023-01-19 -FUT: Change normal mode throttle curve to 0,5,5,5,5. We want governor to be engaged throughout except full negative. v1.2: 2022-12-28 -Use shorter model names so it shows properly on screen. -Removed DSM model as TX12 doesn't support it -OMP: Added Telemetry screen v1.1: 2022-12-28 -OMP: update Flight mode sound function to use Logical state instead of SE switch. v1: 2022-12-27 Initial version based off TX16S v7.2.etx